Saturday, February 8, 2014

Random thoughts of an only child....

As a young girl I often looked towards the words of others to replace absent playmates. Their steadfast allegiance brought me comfort, occupying me for hours during the long days of summer. Some were short and fat, contrived of many persona’s while others were tall and skinny consisting of only one. Some were rude and would show up uninvited, all shiny and new. Of all of these I treasured those who took their time getting to know me, what I thought about life and who were slow to build a friendship with the building blocks of time. They may not of always worn the newest that fiber had to offer, always smelled decontaminated, nor could they promise to always be home when I came knocking. But what they did have to offer were memories, hope, and adventures. Adventures they could not found by joining a club consisting of many strangers but rather a secret club consisting of strangeness from strange lands using strange words that were strangely beautiful. They visit me every now and then, traveling down a ray of sunshine, riding down on a cool raindrop, in the blissful cadence of horse hoofs on a broken brick road, within the wind which spirals the turning autumn leaves up to the heavens, in the smell of aged paper and leather, and in the playful, mischievousness that my children have. They bring endless hours of dreamy innocence, I miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment